Monday, April 7, 2008

By what name are you known?

People call me Bob.
That's great. Both mum and dad did.
Some call me Uncle Bob.
That has a nice family ring to it.
One girl from the "street" asked if she could call me Dad.
That was worrying. I couldn't see a family resemblance. Did I know her mother?
Why would she say that?
She went on to explain her background. Years of abuse etc.
"You are the first male who has wanted nothing from me." Sure, call me dad if you like.
Some on the streets called me Major Bob, others just Bob.
One lass called me 'major pain in the arse.'
Now there was a name I loved. It spoke volumes about our relationship.
But more about her in later blogs.
Jesus was happy to hang out with 'streeties' and take his reputation from the outcast, the unloved, the unlovely.

ME TOO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the name i used for bob was poppa, he was my father in law,he was a bad joke teller a sneaky card player & a loud footy fan above all an all round good guy...bob's life has left an indelible mark on many hearts and it's comforting here on the other side of the ditch to read just how much he was loved and respected, the irony of his blog being posted on the day of his death is not lost on me, bob would say that the timing of god is perfect - i can say without any doubt that i have seen the hand of god, the love of jesus & the fruit of the spirit in his life, the real challenge is to live up to his example, the bible says you will know them by their fruit..i think he bore a huge harvest..love you poppa...lee