Monday, April 14, 2008

Cigarettes and Condoms

I disagreed with my brother-in-law,(also a Sallie Officer) about handing out cigarettes from an Emergency Service Support Vehicle. I hated both the idea and the practice.
I always saw things as black and white, right or wrong and was a 'stickler' for keeping within Orders and Regulations.
Just imagine my shock when years later, we were discussing the idea of carrying condoms in our Street Outreach vehicle for emergency supply to the prostitues on street corners, as part of our ministry! The idea of condom supply seemed at first, abhorrent and wrong, but the issue was not one of contraception or even morality! It was about caring, health and safety, even survival for these girls who were hugely at risk.
We were reminded about our reason for ministry. 'Caring for people, Transforming lives and Reforming society,' all of course with God's direction and help.
If we wanted people to survive and be around to accept our ministry, we would at least have to try to keep them alive.
Only when we hold the 'rule' of WWJD (What would Jesus do?) alongside these issues do we get any clear understanding of The Right Thing To Do!
When we speak of such things to Salvationists, there are some who get up and leave. They so disagree with our actions. How can we best prove our love for these?
The question here must be, 'What does God think?' I'm happy to be judged by him .... He'll get it right!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the greatest sadness I have no words to express I would like to let all readers know that Major Bob Millar passed away today, 15 April 2008. He was my best friend, the friend who changed my life for so much better...

Shar said...

Bob is a larger than life character and I cannot believe that he's gone. I think there will be many people who echo Victoria's comments that Bob was a friend who changed their life for so much better...that's what I loved about Bob...he was such a big guy with a massive heart and love for people. He always made me feel significant,always wanted to catch up if we were in the same place....always ready to talk about Canterbury and the Crusaders.....God Bless you Bob....I'm going to yell extra hard at the game on Saturday just for you.

Anonymous said...

Did you know the muffin man? I'm glad I did.Thank you Bob for all the wisdom that you so freely gave, thank you for all the never ending love for anybody that you met, thank you for being you. Your footprints have been well set in the concrete of life, my journey with you was an experience that has changed my life, you will be missed, including your bad jokes. Go well my friend and "take care"
From a street friend